Toshiba laptops are very popular for their reliability. This laptop, Toshiba Satellite L755-S5169 has everything that an affordable business laptop needs. Of course, it is backed up by the reliability of the Toshiba brand!
With the latest Intel Core i3 2350M (2012) processor and 4 GB RAM, the performance should be comfortable for most normal business applications. The laptop supports an additional 4 GB expansion for the RAM, if you want to upgrade it in future. The built-in 640 GB hard-disk should be sufficient for most users. If not, you can always buy an external hard-disk 😉 The three USB ports makes it easy to add such peripherals. One of them can charge your cell phone, even if the laptop is switched off! How cool is that? 🙂
The Toshiba Satellite L755-S5169 laptop has a sufficiently large 15.6″ LED back-lit display that supports High Definition (HD-720p) viewing. It also has a HDMI input/output port where you can connect an HDMI cable, HD display like your TV/LED monitor and stream videos in HD format. Since HDMI format supports both audio and video, one cable is enough. There is a normal VGA (out) port for connecting to external monitors/projectors, etc.
At 5.3 pounds, this laptop is light-weight, a must for mobile business personnel and even others who just shuttle between home/work. Laptop battery is 6-cell and it is specified to run over 5 hours. It might do even better if you switch to the ‘eco’ power saving mode available with this laptop. Windows 7 Home premium edition is preloaded, so all the office applications should work with this laptop. It is a good idea to have a dual partition on the hard-disk and run Linux (Linux Mint, Ubuntu, etc) on the other partition – Learn how to use it!
The Toshiba Satellite L755-S5169 laptop comes with Intel HD graphics (64-1696 MB dynamic memory). This is ok for normal applications, but not if you are a high-performance-demanding-games enthusiast at home! The optical drive is DVD Read/Write and it comes with a neat label flash printing technology that can color your CD’s/DVD’s with graphics/text of your choice.
The 10/100 Mbps wired network is fine, but don’t expect gigabit performance if you connect it with gigabit switch port at your office. Not many applications require so much bandwidth anyway. The wireless ‘n’ adapter is the latest in Wi-Fi technology and gives a good speed, but remember that it will vary based on your distance from the access point. In business laptops, stereo speakers are more of an after thought, so it will help if you have a good headset or external speakers which can be used while watching movies/listening to songs.
Software/Applications: In addition to the many software utilities provided by Toshiba and Windows 7 Home premium, there is Microsoft Office 2010 Starter pack (Limited edition Word and Excel with ads), Google toolbar and Google Chrome browser, Norton Anti-virus software (30 day trial) and Microsoft Live Essentials that offers free online file storage, syncing files with Windows mesh, hard-disk recovery, photo sharing/editing functionalities, remote access features, etc.
Important features of the Toshiba Satellite L755-S5169 Laptop:
- Intel Core i3 2350M (2012) processor, 2.3 Ghz, 3 MB L3 cache
- 4 GB SO-DIMM RAM, 1333 Mhz, Maximum capacity: 8 GB
- 640 GB, 5400 RPM Hard-disk
- 15.6″ HD LED back-lit display, 1366 x 768 pixels, 720p
- Windows 7 Home premium with Microsoft Live Essentials
- 6-Cell Battery, 5.42 Hours
- Intel HD graphics
- 8x DVD read/write drive with labelflash printing technology
- LAN: 10/100 Mbps/RJ-45, Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n
- 3 x USB ports, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x VGA port, Mic/headphone jacks
- Multi-format memory card reader : SD, SDHC, SDXC, etc
- Stereo speakers
- 1 – year warranty
- Dimensions: 9.8″ x 15″ x 1.5″; Weight: 5.3 pounds
- Model No: PSK1WU-0YD048
- It can monitor temperature/power usage and alert if required
- Low cost with ample features
- 10-digit number pad included in the keyboard
- Battery life can be enhanced while using the ‘eco’ mode
- Microsoft Live Essentials included in the package
- HDMI port
- Charging cell phones through the USB port even when the laptop is switched off
- Labelflash on-disk printing/labeling technology
- Built-in web-cam with face recognition technology
- Looks nice – high glass fusion finish in matrix silver
- Optical drive doesn’t support reading from Blu-ray disks
- LAN port is 10/100 Mbps and not 10/100/1000 Mbps
- No integrated bluetooth module
- Microsoft Office 2010 Limited edition, Outlook/Power-point not included
- Un-installing bloat-ware (softwares that are not going to be useful) can reduce the start-up time
Further information: Refer to the manufacturer’s official page for the Toshiba Satellite L755-S5169 laptop model.
Optional useful accessories:
- 12-cell Laptop battery for additional usage time (while traveling/not connected to AC power)
- Dyna-dock universal USB connected docking station for connecting multiple USB peripherals to a single USB port in the laptop
- Microsoft Office 2010 Home/Student edition
For the price, it is an excellent (and affordable) option for business users and home users (using normal applications).
Where to buy: If you live in the United States, you can buy it online from Amazon.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).