A lot of executives and their secretaries often find themselves attending phone (land-line) calls very frequently and for a long time (especially during conferences). A wireless land-line phone headset allows them to not only work on their computer, during those long conference calls, but also lets them roam around the building freely (to make a coffee for themselves, for example) while talking on their phone. Want more? They can lift the headset to pick-up calls, even when they are away from their desk!
People are used to pairing bluetooth headsets with their cell phones. It works with cell phones because they have bluetooth adapters on their cell phones and the limited range offered by bluetooth is sufficient as the cell phone is expected to be in their pockets. But what about land-line phones? This Plantronics CS540 DECT based wireless headset allows people to make hands-free calls with their land-line phones.
There is a base unit that acts as a charger for this convertible headset model and also connects to the land-line phone handset. The CS540 headset and connection to the land-line phone can be seen in the below embedded Youtube video.
Unlike a cell phone, the handset of a land-line phone needs to be lifted before a call gets connected. This can be done in two ways – Either physically, using HL10 remote handset lifter or electronically, using an electronic hook switch. The electronic hook switch is specific to phone models and is shown in the above video. The HL10 remote handset lifter is common to all phones and its working is shown in the below embedded Youtube video.
- Wireless DECT operation at 1.9 Ghz
- Pick-up range: 350 feet
- Built-in battery; 7 hours talk time for every recharge
- Remote handset lifter & Remote ring detection (HL10)
- Remote call handling – Call pick-up/end; Volume up/down, Mute (HL10)
- Convertible headset – over the ear, over the head and around the neck (optional)
- Weight: 21 grams (headset)
- Magnetic headset docking station and charger
- Warranty: 1 year
- Electronic hook switch (optional)
Additional Technical Information: You can find additional technical information on the CS540 wireless headset from this Plantronics web-page.
- Hands free talking for land-line phones
- Pick up calls from anywhere (HL10) – Don’t miss land-line calls while away
- 350 feet wireless range allows people to roam around the office comfortably, while talking on their land-line phone
- DECT is a separate private network (1.9 Ghz) and does not interfere with Wi-Fi signals (2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz)
- Noise canceling microphone for good quality voice capture
- Convertible headset – Can be used as a ear-piece, over the head or around the neck
- It is possible to receive land-line calls from a remote location, but it is not possible to make outgoing calls remotely
- No on-call indication (available as an accessory though)
- The headset needs to be charged for 3 hours, almost on a daily basis
1. Electronic switch hook cables instead of the HL10 remote handset lifter is available for certain phone models. For Avaya phones, have a look at this electronic switch hook cable.
2. D-100 USB adapter connects the CS540 to a PC and can work with certain VOIP soft-phone models.
3. Optional neck-band for holding the wireless headset from around the neck.
Where to buy: If you live in the United States (US), you can buy the Plantronics CS540 wireless land-line headset from Amazon. You can also buy the HL10 remote handset lifter from Amazon.
Other options to consider: Plantronics Savi W740 3-in-one wireless headset system – A single wireless headset to pick up calls from PC, land-lines and mobile phones.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).