Video Introduction to Asus RT-AC66U
Asus RT-AC66U is the successor of Asus RT-N66U, which was one of the most popular Wireless N routers in the market. But now that Wireless AC/802.11ac high-speed Gigabit Wi-Fi standard has been released, is the Asus RT-AC66U with Wireless AC (and Wireless N), the most popular router? Well, looking at the number of reviews this router has got (among other Wireless AC routers) in Amazon, it certainly seems so!
Advantages of Asus RT-AC66U Wireless AC Router:
- High speed wireless connectivity standard 802.11ac provides speeds of up to 1300 Mbps + 450 Mbps in each of its radios (5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz respectively).
- Extended range + More devices + More bandwidth per device.
- 4 x Wired Gigabit LAN ports and 1 x Wired Gigabit WAN port for wired connectivity, included.
- 2 x USB ports for connecting external hard drives, printers, 3G/4G modems, etc. and making them accessible to all the devices connecting to the wireless router.
- External, powerful, upgradeable antennas.
- Good looking, adds to the decor/luxury of the surroundings, sleek enough for indoor applications.
- Multiple SSID’s and separate guest network enables more people to connect securely.
- The download master utility of this router can download files to the router, even if the PC that initiated it is switched off.
- WPS switch, VPN server offers extra connection security.
- Desk-stand for vertical placement on the desk included.
- Good choice for HD multimedia streaming (multiple streams), HD multi-user games and other high-end computing applications at home/small office.
- Asus AI cloud service is a free cloud based mobile app service that enables you to access, stream, share and sync data on the go, where ever you are.
- Easy 60 second installation without CD.
- QoS (Quality of Service) and bandwidth prioritize functions to avoid congestion while delivering real-time data.
- Traffic monitor allows you to check your web-usage statistics via the user interface.
- Support for 300,000 data sessions provides a higher networking capacity than normal routers.
- Parental settings with usage time, access control functions.
- LED indicators for power, LAN, WAN, AIR & USB.
- Though high-speed external wireless AC adapters are available, they don’t (yet) come built-into PC’s, laptops, etc. The router is, however, backward compatible with Wireless N, A, G, B standards to work with all older Wi-Fi devices.
- The router comes with USB 2.0 ports, instead of the more recent USB 3.0 ports.
- The firmware may not be updated to the latest version when you receive it. You need to manually download the firmware and upgrade it to the latest version for best performance. You may also need to do it occasionally.
Further information/Technical specifications: ASUS RT-AC66U Wi-Fi Router manufacturer’s web-page.
Price (USD) / Buy from (US): Amazon page for,
Alternative: Asus Wireless N model:
Accessories: Wireless AC Client Wi-Fi adapter for laptop/notebook.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).