If you want to enable 802.11ac (Wireless AC) Wi-Fi in your computer/laptop, you could consider buying the USB-based Belkin F9L1106 external wireless AC adapter. Wireless AC is the fastest wireless standard available today, it offers higher range and 3x speeds/bandwidth when compared with Wireless N routers.
Some salient points on Belkin F9L1106 Wireless AC Adapter:
- Model No: F9L1106
- Type: USB-based, External adapter
- Radio: Dual band (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz) operation, better Wi-Fi performance than single band
- Supported Standard: 802.11ac (Wireless AC, Gigabit wireless). Compatible with older standards like Wireless N, etc.
- Speeds supported: Up to 867 Mbps (5 Ghz), up to 300 Mbps (2.4 Ghz)
- Plug & Play: Yes
- Security: WPS lets you create password protected connection, compatible with common wireless security standards
- Recommended PC configuration: USB 2.0 ports (min), Windows OS (supported by the manufacturer)
The advertised maximum speeds of 867 Mbps is a theoretical value and it is normal to get speeds less than half that value, in practical situations. Also, try to set your wireless router to work in 5 Ghz only (as long as there are no other devices that connect in 2.4 Ghz with this device) for obtaining best/ higher speeds. You need a Wireless AC router (obviously) and gigabit backbone network (Gigabit switch ports, Cat 6 cables. etc).
Wireless speeds decrease with increasing distances between the wireless adapter and wireless router and hence, try to place the router as close to the PC/laptop as possible. Well, one precious USB port of your laptop will be occupied by the device. But if you want the fastest Wi-Fi connection today there is no other alternative, at least until notebooks/ultrabooks come with built-in Wireless AC adapters.
More info: Manufacturer’s web-page.
Price (USD)/Where to buy: If you live in the US, you could buy this Wireless AC adapter online from Amazon. Below is the link to its Amazon page,
Alternative to consider: Amazon page for Wireless N Adapter from Belkin,
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).