Why Hp for your networking needs?
Hp, as you may know, has a broad computer networking/IT solutions portfolio. Since they acquired 3Com before a few years, they have a broad range of networking switches that cater to home segment, small business segment and the enterprise segment. Hp is quite popular for their good support in the IT industry.
In this article, let us take a deeper look at the Hp 1905 Switch series. These switches are layer-2 smart switches and can be configured/managed quite easily with the web-based GUI (Graphical User Interface). Four switches in the 1905 series are Fast Ethernet switches (100 Mbps per port) – 24/48 Port Fast Ethernet Switches & 8/24 Port Fast Ethernet Switches with POE (Power Over Ethernet) support. There is also one 10 – Port Gigabit Ethernet switch (1000 Mbps per port) in this series, that supports POE.
- Hp 1905-24 Switch (JD990A)
- Hp 1905-48 Switch (JD994A)
- Hp 1905-8-POE Switch (JD877A)
- Hp 1905-24-POE Switch (JD992A)
- Hp 1905-10G-POE Switch (JD864A)
The first four are below, in the same order.
Important Features of Hp 1905 Series Network Switches & What they mean to you –
- Secure web management & SNMP support: Though the Hp 1905 switches are smart switches, they support many features of managed switches. One can configure them using https-based secure web-based GUI (Graphical User Interface). They also support SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) in order to enable the switches to be centrally managed through a network management application (if available).
- QoS support: In the world of converged networks, QoS (Quality of Service) is becoming a critical feature to support real-time traffic like voice, video, multimedia, etc. These latency-sensitive traffic types will be given a special priority (over normal data traffic) and processed quickly by switches so that users do not experience any delay. The 1905 series switches support real-time traffic classification mapped to four hardware queues per port.
- Port Mirroring: Port mirroring is a feature that allows the switch to copy data flowing through multiple ports, to a single port. This is useful for applications like network/packet analysis, VOIP call recording, etc.
- Spanning Tree Protocol support: If you have a large network with multiple interconnected switches, Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) help you avoid repetitive loops due to redundant links. This improves the network performance and saves a lot of bandwidth.
- VLAN support: VLAN allows you to sub-divide your network into multiple smaller segments to avoid collisions and increase the performance of the data transmitted within the network.
- Link Aggregation: Link Aggregation is a special feature that allows two or more ports (connected to the same device) work like a single large port in order to provide faster connectivity to the device. This feature is generally used to connect servers, NAS storage devices, etc.
- IGMP Snooping: Multi-cast traffic is generally forwarded to all the devices within a network. In order to prevent certain large files/media-types from clogging the network, IGMP Snooping is used.
- SFP ports: SFP ports (along with many optional fiber accessories) allow you to connect optical fiber cables to the switches. OFC’s are generally used if you want to connect two switches that are at more than 100 meters of distance from each other (copper cables support 100 meter connectivity, max.). If you have a large campus, this feature could be useful.
- LED’s/Cable diagnostics: LED lights (at the switch level, port level) allow you to determine the connectivity status, speed of connection and other vital parameters of the switch/individual ports, at a glance. Cable diagnostics allow you to determine if a cable connected to a particular port is cut/not working and the distance over which it is probably cut.
- 802.1x/ACL/SSL Support: 802.1x allows you to integrate the switch with directories like RADIUS in order to authenticate users connecting to each port of the switch (using user-name/password, for example). Access Control Lists (ACL) allows you to specify who can access the switch (you can limit it to certain computers with known MAC address, for example). SSL provides secure encrypted connection to the switch from anywhere, for remote monitoring.
- Power Over Ethernet (POE): POE is a useful feature that provides electrical power (in addition to data) through the Cat5E/6 cables, in order to power up certain IP devices like IP phones, IP Cameras, etc. If you plan to use POE, just ensure that the device you connect to the switch also supports standards-based (IEEE 802.3af) POE. To determine the number of such devices that can use POE, find out the power rating of each device. While adding the rated power of individual devices connecting to the switch, the value should not exceed the total power budget of the switch.
- Warranty: This switch comes with a 3-year warranty.
Additional info: To know more about Hp 1905 Network Switch series, refer to the manufacturer’s web-page.
Alternative models to consider: Hp 1810 Switch Series (lower), Hp 1910 Switch Series (higher).
Price (USD)/Buy From (US): Amazon web-page for,
HP Managed 24 Port Network Switch – Model V1905-24 (JD990A)
HP V1905-48 Smart Ethernet Switch (JD994A#ABA) –
HP V1905-8-PoE Ethernet Switch –
HP V1905-24-PoE Gigabit Ethernet Switch
HP V190510GPOE SWITCH
The Hp 1905 series switches are a good choice if you want manageable switch features in a smart switch, but still would want the convenience of plug-and-play switches. These switches are meant to be used in small and mid-sized offices, but they can also be used at homes.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).