The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 3LCD projector is one of the best home-theater projector available in the market now. It supports Full-HD resolution (up to 1080p), offers 2000 Lumens of color and white brightness for best image clarity and has a contrast ratio of 50,000:1 (max) for reproducing sharp/life-like images. Quality home cinema projector has become quite affordable, as well!
Whether you want to use a projector for viewing movies, watching TV or playing games, the Epson 8350 is a good option. You can be assured that the quality of the images will be maintained even when the video is projected over an enormously large area. With the Epson 8350 3LCD projector, you don’t have to worry about ambient light, as it can deliver visible imagery even in a brightly lit room.
Important Features/Specifications of the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 3LCD Projector:
- Type: Home-Cinema 3LCD Projector (3-chip)
- Brightness: 2000 Lumens
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
- Lamp: 200W UHP E-TORL Lamp (Estimated lamp life: Up to 4000 hours)
- Contrast ration: Up to 50,000:1
- Projected size: 100″ diagonal
- Projection style: Front screen, Rear screen or Ceiling mounted
- Aspect ratio: Native 16:9 (Compatible with 4:3)
- Filter: Epson exclusive cinema filter
- Lens shift: Horizontal & Vertical
- Zoom/Focus: Manual
- Video Input Ports: 2 x HDMI 1.3a; 1 x Component Video; 1 x S-Video; 1 x Composite Video; 1 x RGB/VGA; 1 x RS-232c
- Operating Temperature: 41-95 Deg F (5-35 Deg C)
- Fan noise: 22dB – 28dB
- Dimensions/Weight: 17.7″x15.5″x5.4″ (WxDxH)/16.1 lb
- Warranty: Limited 2-year warranty (Lamp: 90 days)
- Included in the box: Projector, Power cord, Remote control/batteries, User-manual
Further Info/Manufacturer’s web-page: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 3LCD Projector.
Advantages of Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 3LCD Projector:
- 3LCD vs DLP: 3-Chip (3LCD) technology has better (and more natural) color reproduction capabilities than competing technologies like DLP. Both LCD and DLP are very much “digital” technologies. The only advantage of DLP projectors over LCD projectors is perhaps their sharpness and ability to reproduce richer blacks. This feature could be useful in a setting like an auditorium where hundreds of students need to look at small characters on the screen (from an excel sheet, for example). But for home cinema, natural color reproduction is very important.
- 2000 Lumens of Color and White Brightness: Responsible for sharp and excellent images in both dark and bright conditions. You don’t have to cover all the windows while watching a movie, anymore!
- Contrast ratio of up to 50,000:1: Contrast ratio refers to the number of colors (shades) that can be reproduced accurately, by the projector. Higher the value, better the clarity of images. But most projects come with a decent contrast ratio, these days.
- High-Definition 1080p Support: High-Definition (HD) standard is the highest resolution available today. There are two HD standards – 720p and 1080p. This projector supports both (natively) and hence you can be assured that the investment you make today is future-proof. Needless to day, the quality of images are excellent in HD.
- Low Fan Noise: This projector is very quiet as it’s rated noise is just 22 dB. This is an important consideration in a home cinema projector because the noise from a projector might become a distraction while watching movies, especially if the projector is next to you. This projector is ultra-quiet and better ventilation is one reason why it’s slightly larger. Since it is larger, it also doesn’t overheat.
- Largest picture experience @ Home: No other technology can project/display such large images at home, like a projector. You can buy 65″ flat-screen, but projected images can be much larger than that. In fact, by moving the projector front and back, you can change the size of the projected image. What other display technology offers such flexibility?
- Remote with back-light: When you are watching movies in the night/in darkness, you wouldn’t want to switch on the light just because you want to locate some specific key on your remote, right? Epson has manufactured this projector remote with back-light for keys. Small, but thoughtful feature.
- Excellent support: Epson has a track-record of providing excellent support. You can be confident that the manufacturer will directly support your product and offer timely replacements.
- Optical Lens-shift: Many projectors in this price range have digital keystone correction, which reduces the clarity of images big-time. Epson has brought this premium feature so that you can get a perfectly rectangular image on the screen, irrespective of where you place it (subject to standard deviation values). The best option however, would be to place the projector straight to the screen and at an altitude that is closer to the center of the screen.
- Quick start-up/shut-down: Well, you don’t want to wait forever before the movie starts, do you? This projector starts real-quick. However, while shutting the projector down, switch off the projector (power button on the projector) and wait for a few seconds before you switch off the main power switch. This is because, it takes some extra power to cool off the lamp. Cooling the projector lamp regularly can increase the lamp life.
- Connect up to six video sources simultaneously: This projector has two HDMI ports, one S-Video port, one Component video port and one Composite video port to connect DVD/Blu-ray and other media players. It also has an RGB/VGA port to connect laptops and computers. If your computer supports HDMI-out, you can also connect it using the HDMI port. HDMI is the best option for high-definition formats.
- The biggest limitation of any projector is its lamp-life. The rated (estimated) lamp life of this projector is 4000 hours but the warranty for the lamp is only for 90 days! Lamp is the only consumable in a projector but it is quite expensive to change/replace one. Also, brightness of the lamp decreases slightly, with increased usage. Do check the price/availability of replacement lamps before you buy a projector. This is one reason why you should buy projectors from reputed manufacturers.
- Projectors (including this one) can be ceiling mounted. The ceiling mount and additional cables are sold at an extra cost and this projector does not support the generic ceiling mounts available in the market (due to its size). It maybe better to buy a ceiling mount model that is meant for this model, instead of having to tinker with an all-purpose universal ceiling mount.
- You can project the video over white walls/light colored walls. However, for the best clarity, try to project it over the special white projector-screen. Tip: Buy the projector first and try it on your wall. If you are satisfied with the quality of images, skip purchasing the projector screen.
- As mentioned earlier, this projector is slightly larger than business projectors. So, it is not meant for carrying around frequently. But, when compared to the size of any older projector that you might already be familiar with, this projector is very much smaller.
- You could try turning Epson Superwhite feature ON (from Settings – Advanced) for best picture clarity. In general, experiment with the various color modes available in the projector and see which one gives best output for your environment. You could also try adjusting the color temperature. Except this adjustment, the rest of the projector is pretty much plug and play.
- If you get an auto-iris error, restart the projector and turn off the “Auto-Iris” feature from the menu.
- Occasionally, you should check for any dust in the air-filter and clean it. If required, change the air-filter (you can buy it separately).
- For extending the lamp-life, use the projector in the ‘Eco’ mode. In this mode, the brightness is slightly reduced but lamp-life is increased. Also, operate the projector in the recommended temperature range (41 – 95 Deg. F, 5 – 35 Deg. C), as far as possible. Air-conditioning the home-cinema room, is recommended.
- When you replace the lamp (you can do it by yourself), do not touch the new lamp with your hands. Use a cloth or gloves to handle it.
- This is a 2D projector and not a 3D projector.
Price (USD)/Buy from (US): Amazon web-page for,
- Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 3LCD Home Cinema Projector.
Suggested Accessories (Optional):
- Elite Screens ER120WH1 Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen (120 inch 16:9 AR)
- PCMD All-Metal Projector Ceiling Mount for Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350
- Mediabridge High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 ft) – Ultra Series – Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard]
- Basic AV Projector Cart
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).