The D-Link DGS-1016D/1024D switches are 16-port/24-port Gigabit unmanaged switches that are small, rack-mountable & fanless (quiet). These switches are basically plug-and-play switches aimed at small networks (home/office) and provide a good value for money for the gigabit speeds offered.
Important Specifications of D-Link DGS-1016D/1024D Unmanaged Gigabit Switches:
- 16/24 10/100/1000 Auto-Negotiation Ethernet Ports (RJ-45)
- 32/48 Gbps Forwarding Capacity (Non-blocking architecture)
- Packet buffer memory: 512 KB
- 8K Mac address table size
- Power consumption (max): 11.7W/19.1W
- LED’s: Per port – Activity,Link,Speed.
- QoS: 801.p (4-queues, factory-configured)
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty (Limited)
Advantages of D-Link DGS-1016D/1024D Unmanaged Gigabit Switches:
- D-Link is a well-known global brand and specializes in home/small business network products. Many of their products have good reviews and are known to last for a long time. Buying switches is a long-term investment and hence it is important to go with well-known/reliable brands. D-Link is definitely one of the best brands in this segment.
- Life-Time Warranty can make you sleep peacefully as the risk is covered by the manufacturer. The only reason you might change your switches is to upgrade them to higher/better technology. Network switches are very reliable, in general.
- Gigabit support in every port and non-blocking architecture ensures that you get the best performance out of your network. Whatever be the demanding application (HD movies, music, 3D gaming, etc), you can be confident that Gigabit switches can manage it without hassles. Even if all the ports are loaded and running in full capacity, you can expect the best performance in your network, if it is a gigabit network.
- ‘Fanless’ means these two models do not have any running fans to cool the switches. They handle cooling in other ways and stay very quiet. Since fans are running parts, lack of fans also mean more reliability.
- This switch is a truly green switch. It has one of the lowest power consumption in the industry as it can automatically switch off ports that are not used & reduce the power for slower connections/shorter cables (less than 20m). Lower power consumption also means reduced running costs.
- Since these switches are standards-based, you can connect the D-Link switches to any other switch/router and expect them to work flawlessly.
- The power supply is internal (no bulky hanging wall warts)
- Factory configured QoS (in spite of this switch being an unmanaged switch) ensures that real-time applications like video and voice get higher priority than data.
- Jumbo Frame support ensures that large data blocks are transmitted faster.
- LED lights for power (switch level), speed/activity/link (port-level) ensures that you know what is going on in each port, just by looking at the front side of the switch. The LED lights makes it easy to identify faults.
- Unmanaged switches are plug-and-play. You can power it, hook your network equipments and expect the network to be established. It is that simple and very fast. No complex configuration/installation required.
- You can keep this switch on your desk/table or mount it on industry standard network racks.
Limitations/Tips for D-Link DGS-1016D/1024D Unmanaged Gigabit Switches:
- These two switches are unmanaged switches. Hence, users cannot configure VLAN, Port Trunking, Link Aggregation and other managed switch features. Unmanaged switches are sufficient for small networks.
- The LED/Port numbering layout for this switch is a little confusing as the ports are not marked incrementally from left to right. With time, you’ll get used to it, though.
- These two switches do not support POE (Power Over Ethernet).
- Hook it up with a quality surge-suppression box and UPS for longevity.
- Use Cat6 cables/passive components to get the best performance out of the gigabit network created by this switch.
- Connect your network devices directly to this switch, instead of connecting them to switch ports of a WiFi router, for better performance.
Price (USD)/Buy From (US): Amazon web-page for,
- D-Link 16-Port Rackmountable Gigabit Switch DGS-1016D
- D-Link 24-Port Rackmountable Gigabit Switch DGS-1024D
Alternative Models to Consider: (Desktop only models)
- D-Link Systems, Inc. 24-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (DGS-1024A)
- D-Link Systems, Inc. 16-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (DGS-1016A)
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).