The D-Link 5700/DIR-865L Amplifi wireless AC cloud Wi-Fi router is a high-speed, high-range, dual-band wireless router that supports the latest gigabit wireless (802.11 ac) standard. When used along with a Wireless AC adapter, you can expect to get up to 1300 Mbps of speed. This means that demanding real-time applications and more users can be connected to the wireless network without much of network lag/congestion. The built-in antenna with signal-strength amplifier ensures that you don’t have to use a separate Wi-Fi extender to cover your house fully.
One of the highlights of the D-Link 5700/DIR-865L Wi-Fi router are its cloud-based features/operations. You can manage the router, see what websites are being accessed or see connected/blocked devices from your Android/iOS mobile, from anywhere. You can also connect a USB-based storage device to this router and stream/share files and media to multiple connected devices. You can also create a separate guest-zone SSID (network) for guests, allowing them to access only the Internet, without them having access to your internal network/devices. With so many high-end features built into this device, it’s definitely worth exploring more.
Important Specifications of D-Link 5700 /DIR-865L Gigabit Wi-Fi Cloud Router:
- Dual-band (2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz) Gigabit AC Cloud Router
- High-speed 802.11ac (Gigabit Wi-Fi) – Up to 3 times faster than Wireless N technology. Backward compatible with 11n, 11g, 11a.
- 4 x Wired Gigabit Ethernet ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x Gigabit WAN port
- WPS push-button, Reset button
- Internal antennas with built-in range amplifier
- LED’s: Power, WPS, Internet
- Dimensions/Weight: 9.8″ x 6.5″ x 2.58″/1.24 lb
- Warranty: 1-year Limited
Further Info/Manufacturer’s web-page:
Advantages of D-Link 5700/DIR-865L Wireless AC Cloud Wi-Fi Router:
- Gigabit wireless offers excellent speeds and allows more users to connect without performance issues.
- Dual-band operation lets you choose between 5 Ghz operation and 2.4 Ghz operation. In crowded areas (with multiple wi-fi routers in the neighborhood), it is better to operate in the 5 Ghz band because it has less interference and more non-overlapping channels. Operating in 2.4 Ghz may result in frequent dropped connections.
- This router is very easy to set-up and the GUI is simple to use.
- The built-in amplifier offers a great range, when compared to normal/lower models. It is possible to cover an entire house with this router, even if you have used two access points to cover the same region in the past.
- It has a reset button and WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Security mode) button on the unit to enable quick operation for these functions.
- My D-Link cloud services enables you to monitor/control your home network from anywhere. You can stream, monitor what websites are being visited by the kids and see connected/blocked websites in real-time using the Android/iOS mobile app offered by D-Link.
- It is possible to share and stream media files from a USB storage drive to all connected devices. You can also share/stream to mobile devices using the shareport mobile feature.
- Wi-Fi Protected Security mode (WPS) and Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall (SPI) offer security and protection for your wireless data.
- VPN pass through feature enables you to connect to your office network (over VPN) without having to open ports or any such configuration requirements.
- Guest zone support enables you to allow internet access (WAN) to guests, without giving them access to LAN/internal files and devices.
- Support for Wi-Fi WMM (Wireless Multi Media) QoS standard ensures that real-time data like voice and video are given a higher preference over normal data.
- 24×7 basic installation support is available for the first 30 days in the United States (US), followed by 1-year limited warranty support.
- You cannot connect this router directly with wireless dongles/data cards. You can connect it with Cable/DSL connections, for Internet.
- USB 2.0 port, instead of the more recent USB 3.0 port.
- Not many laptops/tablets come with an in-built wireless AC adapter, yet. But most of these devices will get wireless AC adapters in the near future. Until then, you can buy the USB AC client adapter from D-Link, if you want to experience the gigabit Wi-Fi speeds.
- Use the D-Link forums to learn, ask and get first level support.
Price (USD)/Where to buy (USA): Amazon web-page for,
D-Link USB Client Adaptor with Wireless AC support
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).