Netgear GS724T-300 Network Switch Unboxing Video
The Netgear GS716T-200/GS724T-300 are gigabit 16/24 port ‘smart’ network switches from Netgear. These two models are targeted at large homes/small-medium businesses and support many L2 managed switch features like VLAN, LACP, rate limiting, IGMP snooping, etc. QoS support enables real-time applications like voice and video get a higher priority than data. 802.1x and other security features ensure that it’s difficult for unauthorized users to access the network. All gigabit ports provide good speeds for bandwidth-demanding applications. This switch offers good price-performance-features ratio.
The browser-based management portal/GUI makes it easy to configure many complex features, available with this switch. The low power consumption and other green features enabled in this switch ensures that the running cost is very less. Since these two switches do not have any built-in fans, they make absolutely no noise and hence you can keep them anywhere (even in your living room). Rack-mount brackets are included, if you want to fix them in a network rack. Fiber support (with additional fiber modules) enables one to extend the network beyond 100 meters using optical fiber cables and lifetime warranty (along with first year 24×7 technical support) makes sure you get peace of mind.
Important Specifications of the Netgear GS716T-200/GS724T-300 (16/24 port) Switches:
- Ports: 16/24 10/100/1000 Mbps (Gigabit) ports; 2 x Fiber ports (Optional, can be used with additional fiber modules from Netgear)
- Bandwidth: 32 Gbps/48 Gbps
- Type: Smart switch
- Buffer memory: 512 KB
- Power supply: 16.5W/21.5W (max)
- LED’s: Per port: Link, Activity, Speed, Duplex. Per switch: On/Off.
- Rack mountable: Yes
- Dimensions: 1.7″ x 17.3″ x 10.2″ (H x W x D); Weight: 5.99 lb/6.33lb
- Included: Switch, power cord, rack-mount kit, smart switch CD, installation guide CD, rubber footpads.
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty (1-year technical support included)
Further info/Manufacturer’s web-page: Netgear Prosafe 24-port Gigabit switch.
Advantages of Netgear GS716T-200/GS724T-300 (16/24 Port) Switches:
- Fanless design means more reliability and ultra-quiet operation. You can keep these two switch models in your living room while watching movies.
- Gigabit speeds are among the highest speeds offered by network switches today and they are good for running real-time applications in your network.
- Quick set-up. These two switches can be used as plug-and-play devices if you don’t want to configure the advanced settings. However, it is easier/useful to configure those settings using the simple web-based management console.
- One can see if there are any port-level link problems/link termination issues. Useful for troubleshooting.
- Optional fiber ports enable network administrators to expand their network (connect to other switches) beyond the 100 meter limitation of the copper cables, using fiber cables. Even if this feature is not immediately useful, it might be useful in the future.
- In a large network, the VLAN (Virtual LAN) feature can be used to sub-divide the network in order to limit the broadcast domain and hence reduce network congestion.
- When you are using real-time applications like voice/video, etc. it is crucial that your network gear support QoS/CoS features, both of which this switch supports. This could be useful at homes as well as offices.
- Lifetime warranty with 1-year 24×7 support (remote configuration, etc) ensures that your investment is in safe hands.
- It is possible to back up & restore switch configuration. Useful during accidental mis-configurations and multi-switch setup.
- The green (power saving) features like switching off unused ports, low power consumption, reducing power level for short cables, etc. make sure that your running costs are less.
- This switch supports enterprise grade security features like 802.1x, ACL, MAC/IP address limiting and RADIUS directory support.
- This switch can be kept on the desktop or mounted in the rack (recommended).
- This switch supports auto-voice VLAN and hence IP phones are automatically classified into a separate VLAN and appropriate priority is given to them.
- This switch supports SNMP and hence you can manage it through any standard network monitoring software, if you want to.
- Jumbo frame support ensures that large chunks of data are transferred faster (don’t forget to enable this feature).
- Rate limiting ensures that a single port will never occupy a lot of bandwidth thereby slowing down the entire network.
- Link Aggregation support ensures that you can connect two or more ports to the same device and use multiple links as a single large link (of aggregated bandwidth capacity).
- Port mirroring enables applications like packet monitoring (security) and voice recording (VOIP).
- IGMP Snooping ensures that multicast frames do not flood the whole network and they are sent only to the appropriate ports.
- Password-based access control, support for https, DoS prevention ensure basic security.
Limitations of Netgear GS716T-200/GS724T-300 (16/24 Port) Switches:
- No PoE (Power over Ethernet) support on any of the ports. POE version of this switch is also available.
- The discovery tools software (CD) is supported only in Windows. However, the switch can be managed through a web-browser on any OS once you know its IP address.
- No CLI (Command Line Interface) support.
- No IPv6 support.
- No SSH support.
- As far as possible, buy the 24-port model over the 16-port model as the price difference between the two of them is very less and you can always switch off the unused ports to save power. You never know when you’ll need more ports!
Price (USD)/Buy From (USA): Amazon web-page for,
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).