TRENDnet has recently released TEW-805UB, which is a USB 3.0 based Wi-Fi AC client-adapter that enables your computers, laptops, etc. to connect with the 802.11ac wireless network (Wireless AC router, access point, etc). As you might be aware, IEEE 802.11ac or Wireless AC or Gigabit wireless is the fastest Wi-Fi standard available today. Though theoretical speeds achievable by this network is quoted to be in the range of 1 Gbps, practically only half of the advertised speeds are achievable.
Since laptops/computers do not come with built-in wireless AC adapters *yet*, one can buy a USB-based external wireless adapter like this, plug it to one of the USB ports of their laptop/PC and connect to the Wi-Fi network with gigabit speeds.
Highlights of TEW-805UB AC1200 Wi-Fi Client Adapter:
- External Dual band Wi-Fi 802.11ac client adapter.
- Supports 802.11ac, but backward compatible (with 802.11n, etc.).
- High-speed USB 3.0 port, backward compatible with USB 2.0.
- Connects to WIndows-based computers. Why only Windows???
- Max speed: 867 Mbps (Wireless AC); 300 Mbps (Wireless N).
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup hard button.
- Connects to and powered by the computer’s USB port, hence one USB port in the PC will be occupied by this device.
Further information: TRENDnet product page.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).