The Arris/Motorola SBG 6580 is a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem that has built-in Wireless N (Wi-Fi) & 4-Port Switch (Wired Network) capabilities. The two main advantages of this modem include – i. Support for higher speeds/performance (DOCSIS 3.0) & ii. Built-in Wi-Fi and 4-Port Ethernet switch, makes it a single device that can enable you to access Internet over Wi-Fi without requiring you to buy a separate wireless router.
One of the main reasons why people buy this modem+Wi-Fi+Ethernet Switch, is to avoid the high rental costs charged by Cable ISPs (every month) for the modem provided by them. As you will notice, this modem will pay for itself pretty quickly.
Advantages of SBG6580:
- Supports download speeds of up to 343 Mbps & upload speeds of up to 131 Mbps (Theoretical speeds, DOCSIS 3.0 compliant). Practically, you should be able to get 50 Mbps download (approx) if your cable service provider offers those speeds.
- Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi Router & 4-Port Gigabit Wired Switch. There is no need to buy a separate wireless router, if you plan to enable Wi-Fi in your premises.
- Single device saves electrical power, cables, sockets, maintenance costs, etc., when compared to two devices that do the same function.
- Consumers can save a considerable amount of money (on the long run) by buying this modem upfront, instead of renting it from their ISPs at a high (recurring) cost, every month.
- This modem can accommodate 3-digit future speed increases by your ISP – Future proof.
- It does not support the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, but 802.11n is sufficient for most practical applications. The WAN speed is limited anyway.
- It works either on the 2.4 Ghz band or 5 Ghz band. Dual-radio configuration might have been better. But, most people/devices work on 2.4 Ghz anyway.
- Some people feel that a separate modem and Wi-Fi router might offer better performance. Depending on the type of router and application (LAN), that might be true but a separate device comes with its own delays (latency) and cost.
- Use wired connection to connect your computers to the modem, where ever possible. Wired connections are faster than Wi-Fi.
- You can switch off the wireless network if you aren’t going to use it. This will save some power.
- You can use both wired and wireless connections together, if you want.
- This modem is only for cable delivered Internet (check with your service provider) and not for DSL broadband Internet. You can verify this by noticing what kind of interface you get for Internet connectivity – If you get something similar to telephone jack, its DSL. If you get something similar to cable TV jack (Coaxial), its cable Internet.
- It maybe better to plug the modem into a UPS power supply to ensure that it’s protected against power-cuts.
- Every Cable ISP provides a list of modems their service is compatible with (check if this modem is compatible, over phone or website). If it is compatible, then it should mostly work immediately upon connection (plug-and-play). Otherwise contact your ISP tech-support.
Price (USD)/Buy from (USA):
Amazon product page for – ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless N Cable Modem – Retail Packaging.
Basic Connectivity/Set-up Video for SBG 6580:
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).