What is a PoE Splitter?
PoE refers to Power Over Ethernet. A network cable coming from a PoE-enabled port of a PoE Switch (or) from a PoE injector carries both data and power. When this cable connects to a PoE-enabled device on the other side, both data and power can be provided using just one cable.
But not all devices are PoE enabled. Some need to be powered using a regular AC to DC adapter. If you don’t have a power plug nearby, you might find it difficult to bring power cables from far away. But why not just use the network cable coming from a PoE switch, after separating the power and data?
That’s what the PoE Splitter does. It connects to the network port of a PoE Switch on one end, which provides both data and power on the same cable. The Splitter separates data and power. There are two outputs coming out of the splitter: One for data connection using a network cable, and another for power connection using a power cord. These two can be connected to the Non-PoE device separately.
Remember that while a PoE Injector combines data and power and sends it on a single cable, a PoE Splitter separates data and power and sends each on separate cables. So the PoE Splitter is the reverse of a PoE Injector.
The TRENDnet TPE-104GS is a popular Gigabit PoE Splitter. Let’s look at the main specs, advantages, and limitations of this device.
Main Specifications of TRENDnet TPE-104GS PoE Splitter:
- PoE Splitter: Splits a Gigabit Data (+) PoE signal into Gigabit Data (&) Power separately
- User selectable output power: 5V, 7.5V, 9V, 12V
- Dip switch and LED indicators for power selection and indication
- Input: Connection from PoE switch or PoE Injector
- Output: Power: 2 to 2mm, 2 to 2.5mm jumper power cables to connect to the Non-PoE device; Gigabit Ethernet data port
- Compatible with 802.3af PoE network connections
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports x 2 (input and output), Power output port x 1
- PoE Input: 48V DC, 0.38A
- Operating Temperature: 0-45 Deg. C
- Warranty: 3 years
Advantages of TRENDnet TPE-104GS:
- Supplies power and data separately to Non-PoE devices like Routers, Access Points, Bridges, Extenders, IP Cameras, IP Phones etc. (that doesn’t support PoE).
- 802.3af PoE Switch (input) is commonly available.
- It’s a compact unit.
- Ideal for connections between a PoE Switch and a Non-PoE network device located on a remote location without easy access to a power plug.
- Saves on installation and equipment costs, and reduces the time required to install a Non-PoE device at a remote location.
- There is no need to connect a separate power supply to the Gigabit PoE Splitter as it is a passive device.
- Built-in mounting points make installation on walls/ceilings easier.
- Supports Gigabit speeds of up to 2000 Mbps (full-duplex).
- Compact device, easy to conceal.
- Simple to install and not much maintenance.
- The Non-PoE device that is connected via this splitter need not be Trendnet. It can be of any make.
- The PoE splitter has to be installed close to the Non-PoE device like the camera or access point.
- In some cases, it maybe difficult to conceal the unit.
- This unit supports only the PoE standard and not the more recent PoE+ standard.
- The user-selectable output voltage ranges from 5 to 12V, so this device cannot be used to power equipment that requires higher voltage.
- Network Cables (Cat 5E/6) are not supplied with the splitter.
- Tip: It’s a good idea to ensure the PoE switch is grounded properly.
- Tip: Check the power requirements of the Non-PoE device you want to power using this splitter. If it is 5, 7.5, 9, or 12V, you could use the splitter to power it.
- Tip: The voltage selector should be set to the required voltage before any power is applied to the PoE splitter through the cable. Not afterwards.
- Tip: If you want to connect a PoE-enabled device on the remote end, you don’t need the splitter.
Further Information/Manufacturer’s Webpage: TRENDnet Gigabit PoE Splitter (TPE-104GS).
Price (USD)/Buy From (USA): Amazon webpage for,
Disclaimer: The links to Amazon.com from this post are affiliate links. If you click on them and buy the product, I may get a small commission. Be assured that this website features only the best products and your price will not change.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).