If you are looking to buy an inexpensive cable modem to save modem rental costs charged by your Cable ISP, the D-Link DCM-301 is a good option. This modem is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant and supports download speeds of up to 343 Mbps which is sufficient for many Cable Internet plans in the US. Please note: This is only a modem, you need a router additionally.
In this article, let’s look at important specs, advantages and limitations of the D-Link DCM-301 cable modem.
Specifications of D-Link DCM-301 Cable Modem:
- Supports DOCSIS 3.0 Standard, with download speeds of up to 343 Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 150 Mbps
- Backward compliant with DOCSIS 2.0, 1.1, 1.0 standards
- 8 x 4 Downstream x Upstream channel bonding
- 1 x 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN port
- CatV-Coaxial female WAN port
- IPv6 support
- Priority Queuing (QoS)
- SNMPv3 for remote network management
- Power button, Reset button
- Dimensions: 5.2 x 6 x 1.4 inches; Weight: 0.65 lb
- Approved by major Cable ISPs like Cox, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House
- Warranty: 1-year
- Save up to $96 USD a year by eliminating the modem rental charged by your Cable ISP.
- Most probably, this modem will be faster than your Cable ISP provided modem, which maybe older or refurbished ones.
- Up to 8 times Faster than older DOCSIS 2.0 modems.
- Small and compact, when compared with other modems.
- Solid green light to indicate that the modem is working and is connected. There are no disturbing flashing lights.
- Great value for money product.
- Cheaper than a Modem + Wireless Router package. Useful when you already have a WiFi router or you plan to buy some other model of WiFi router. Besides buying separate modem and WiFi router will ensure you don’t lose both functionality at the same time. Upgrade planning will also be easier, if both are separate.
- This modem is more than enough for 50/5 Mbps connections, which are common.
- The hardware reset button, if you want to reset the modem at times, is a convenient option.
- Cable ISPs may not allow users to get into the settings page and change the settings of their rented modem. But you can do that with your own modem, like this one.
- Simple setup and the unit comes with Ethernet cable.
- There are cable modems that support 16×4 channel bonding, that offer higher speeds than this modem.
- Cable modems do not support analog telephone. But they will support Internet-based VOIP telephony services like OOMA.
- This is only a modem, not a router.
- It doesn’t support WiFi.
- Tip: In case you didn’t find the username and password, here they are: Username: admin; Password: password. IP Address: 192.168.100.1.
- Tip: You may need to call and register the MAC address found on this device with your Cable ISP for the device to work.
- Tip: By default the firewall is turned off, go inside the settings page and turn it on.
Further Information/Manufacturer’s web page: D-Link DCM-301 Cable Modem.
Price (USD)/Buy From (USA): Amazon product page for,
Disclaimer: The links to Amazon.com from this post are affiliate links. If you click on them and buy the product, I may get a small commission. Be assured that I select only the best products to feature on this site, and your price will not change.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).