If not THE best cable modem, Motorola ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 is one of the best cable modems available in the market now. Coming from a trusted brand that has been selling cable modems for a long time, this beast supports 16 x 4 channel bonding, up to 686 Mbps download speeds – more than what most Cable ISPs provide today.
If you want to replace your old slower modem to DOCSIS 3.0 for increased speeds, or if you want to avoid the expensive monthly rentals charged by your Cable ISP, you could look at buying this best-selling cable modem. Note: This unit is a modem, not a WiFi router. You need the router also, to access Internet from multiple computers at home.
- Model: Motorola ARRIS SB6183 SURFboard Cable Modem
- Channel bonding: 16 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels (16 x4)
- Download speeds: Up to 686 Mbps; Upload speeds: Up to 131 Mbps
- DOCSIS 3.0 Standard support, backwards compatible with earlier standards
- Supports IPv4 & IPv6 – Future proof.
- Compatible with most US Cable ISPs like Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House, etc.
- Gigabit Ethernet port x 1
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 2.5 x 7.8 inches
- Weight: 1.4 lb
- Warranty: 1-year
Advantages of ARRIS Surfboard SB6183 Cable Modem:
- This is perhaps the only modem (for now) that supports the TWC MAXX 300 Mbps Internet plans available in select US cities.
- This modem enables you to get the full speeds offered by your Cable ISP today.
- Future proof: Since it supports 686 Mbps download speeds, this modem should be sufficient even when your cable provider offers more speeds.
- Quick installation – maybe about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Older modems maybe DOCSIS 2.0, which may not support the speeds offered by your cable internet provider today. This modem supports DOCSIS 3.0, the most recent and the fastest standard, yet.
- Cable Internet providers charge rent for modems they provide. That can be as high as $10 USD or more a month. Hence, if you buy a modem, it will pay for itself in less than a year and you can save money thereafter.
- Built for 24×7 usage.
- Even if your Cable ISP doesn’t offer 16 channels, you’ll still find an improvement in speed(when compared to your old modem) because this modem chooses the least congested channels. You may even get more speeds than what your Internet plan supports, at times.
- White color gives it a premium look.
- There are Combo units: Modem + WiFi Router, available in the market. However, it is better to buy them separately because you can be flexible about when to upgrade each (or) if you already have a WiFi router that you don’t want to change. Also, there will not be a single point of failure.
- Network cable, to connect to the router, is provided.
- If your old modem, provided by the Cable ISP, handles phone connection in addition to providing Internet, this modem may not replace it fully. This one doesn’t support phone connections. However, VoIP phone connections like OOMA are supported.
- During installation, you’ll need to call your Cable ISP tech support and provide the serial number and MAC address located on the bottom of your modem, to enable the unit to function.
- The LED indicator lights may appear bright, especially if you place the modem in dark environs. And there are multiple indicator lights all over the unit.
- This is only a modem, and not a WiFi router. You’ll need to buy router/WiFi router separately or you can use the one you already have.
- It has a fixed IP address that cannot be changed (192.168.100.1).
- Combo Modem+WiFi Routers are cheaper than buying each separately.
- This is a Cable modem, not a DSL modem. You can’t use it to terminate your DSL Internet connection. This modem will also not work with direct Fiber connections.
Further Information/Manufacturer’s web page: ARRIS SURFboard SB-6183 Cable Modem.
Price (USD)/Buy From (USA): Amazon web page for,
Disclaimer: The links to Amazon.com from this page are affiliate links. If you click on them and buy the product, I may get a small commission. Be assured that I feature only the best products on my site, and your price will not change.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).