The Netgear CM500-100NAS is a DOCSIS 3.0 certified high-speed modem that supports 16 x 4 channel bonding, and hence up to 680 Mbps of download speeds. As of today, even the premium Cable ISP plans don’t exceed that speed, hence this model will support the fastest cable Internet. That makes it future proof. Netgear is a well-known brand for making reliable products in the networking industry.
If you are still paying a substantial monthly rental for the cable modem provided by your cable company, which can be as high as $120 USD per year, you could instead buy this modem and save money on the long run. Besides, there is a good chance you’ll get faster speeds than your old modem as this modem supports the latest DOCSIS 3.0 standard.
- Model: Netgear CM500 Cable Modem
- DOCSIS 3.0 compliant; backward compatible with earlier DOCSIS 2.0 standard
- 16 x 4 channel bonding, supports up to 680 Mbps download, 132 Mbps upload
- Gigabit Ethernet Port x 1 (to router)
- Cable/Coaxial port x 1 (to Cable ISP)
- Certified to work with US Cable Internet providers like XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cable Vision, Charter, Cox, etc.
- New IP addressing format, IPv6, supported.
- Advanced QoS support.
- Dimensions: 2.36 x 4.88 x 7.28 inches
- Weight: 0.62 lb
- 1-Year Warranty
Salient Advantages of Netgear CM500-100NAS:
- Netgear CM500 Cable modem is a good option for XFINITY Internet Blast/Extreme & Time Warner Maxx customers as it supports up to 680 Mbps download speeds, more than what those high-speed Internet plans require. It is also a future proof option for lower speed Cable Internet connections.
- Supports high-speed Internet applications like 4K Video streaming. This model is one of the fastest cable modems available today.
- By replacing your existing Cable ISP provided modem with this model, you can save on monthly rental costs, which may amount up to $120 USD per year. Besides, the older/rented Cable modems may be slower.
- Reliable Internet access even during peak hours as the modem has more channel options, and hence can select channels that are not congested.
- You can install the modem in 10-15 minutes, including the call you may have to make to your Cable ISP technical support team to provide them with the MAC address/Serial no. available on this modem.
- Less bulky and lighter than older-generation cable modems.
- You can log into the modem from a computer and find data on signal strength, SNR, etc. to monitor the performance of your Internet connection.
- The LED lights on the modem are not bright. So you can keep the modem in a dark room without the blinking lights causing much disturbance to your eyes.
- Software/CD not required for installation, almost plug-and-play.
- With use, it gets warm, not hot.
- Comes with an Ethernet cable required for connection to the router.
- This Modem is not compatible with cable-bundled voice services – this may not work if you get your phone connection also from the Cable company through your modem.
- Not compatible with DSL Internet service providers.
- The indicator lights are so small that they’re difficult to see from a distance.
- Although the modem is plug and play, a phone call to your cable ISP maybe required to set it up, initially. Some Cable ISPs offer auto-activation through their portals – see if your ISP supports this, for faster installation.
- Firmware updates, when they are made available for this unit, can be done only by the ISP and not the user. There could be a delay from their side.
- Tip: The unit is light weight, so it may fall when nudged. Don’t keep it on the edge.
- Tip: For installation, use IP Address: 192.168.100.1; Username: admin; Password: password.
- Tip: Verify if this model is compatible with your Cable Internet ISP – they should have a list of compatible modems on their website.
- Tip: Buy a Cat 6 network cable to use with this modem, instead of the Cat 5 cable that comes with it, for better performance.
Further Information/Manufacturer’s web page: Netgear CM500-100NAS Cable Modem.
Price (USD)/Buy From (USA): Amazon product page for,
- ***NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Certified for Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter & more(CM500-100NAS).
Note: The links to Amazon.com from this page are affiliate links. If you click on the product and buy it, I may get a small commission. Be assured that this site features only the best products, and your price will not change.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).