- Synology DS1815+ is a Diskless 8-Bay NAS (Network Attached Storage) supporting maximum internal raw capacity of 80 TB. Can be expanded up to 18 Bays and 180 TB with additional expansion units (DX513).
- Synology DS2415+ is a Diskless 12-Bay NAS (Network Attached Storage) supporting maximum internal raw capacity of 120 TB. Can be expanded up to 24 Bays and 240 TB with additional external expansion units (DX1215).
- Quad Core Intel Atom C2538 2.4 Ghz processor (64-bit CPU & Hardware encryption engine).
- 2 GB DDR3 System Memory expandable up to 6 GB.
- Drives: 2.5″ & 3.5″ SATA II & III HDD & 2.5″ SSD.
- RJ-45 1 Gb LAN port x 4; USB 3.0 port x 4.
- RAID types supported: Basic, JBOD, Synology Hybrid RAID, RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10.
- SSD Read/Write Cache support.
- 3-Year Limited Warranty.
- Hot Swappable drives
- Wireless dongle support
- Scheduled Power On/Off; Wake on LAN/WAN
- User can combine two DiskStation units into one high availability cluster in order to minimize downtime due to faults on one of them
- Longer power cord than most bundled power cords
- Easy unit setup, disk installation & disk maintenance
- Synology DSM is a stable & trusted OS and supports many free cum paid add-on packages/apps that can be used to extend the functionality of the unit beyond just storage/backup.
- Integrates with Time Machine for Macs and can be used as an iTunes server.
- Supports automatic local backups from multiple devices & consolidated NAS & cloud-backup from Synology
- Supports PLEX (easy media sharing app to multiple connected devices)
- Replacing one failed disk or unit with another is as simple as replacing the hardware and drives. The configuration and data remain intact.
- You can make your own NAS using standard PC components, but this one is low-power & designed for 24×7 operation.
- Photo Station and Video Station enables you to store and share media with selective access rights.
- It can be a full-fledged media server that can store media/content on a central location and stream it to multiple devices.
Advantages For Small/Medium Business
- Synology DS2415+ supports corporate directories like Windows AD & LDAP
- Supports iSCSI & NFS
- Supports Virtualization environments like Citrix, VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V
- Supports CMS (Central Management System) in larger environments for centralized viewing and managing multiple Synology devices
- Network ports support Link Aggregation & Failover
- Only two IP Camera licenses are included with Surveillance Station (Max. supported cameras at additional licensing cost of around $50 per camera = 40)
- Slightly higher noise due to 2 x 80mm fans and lack of noise insulation/dampening
- The included 2 GB RAM is not sufficient for a NAS of this capacity. It is recommended to upgrade it to maximum possible capacity (6 GB).
- No USB-C or Thunderbolt ports.
- If you want to be able to expand a volume, don;t create it directly from a disk. Create a Disk Group first and then create a volume out of the disk group.
- The built-in 2 GB RAM may not be sufficient. Recommended to upgrade the RAM to 6 GB by adding a 4 GB module (as suggested by Synology) or upgrade the RAM to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) if your usage requires it. Synology doesn’t suggest the latter and that may also void the warranty. So be aware if you do that.
- Use hard-drives designed to work in a NAS. These are reliable and will work well in 24×7 operations.
- Check if the drive you want to buy is available in the Synology hard drive compatibility list.
- Use Synology Hybrid RAID for best space utilization efficiency. Use this RAID Calculator offered by Synology to find out space usage efficiency for each type of RAID. However, remember that you can’t buy a NAS from some other company in the future and transfer these drives and hope to use/recover existing data.
- Multiple RAID configurations on multiple volumes is possible.
- Try to use it (connect it) with a managed switch with Gigabit ports supporting link aggregation for faster data transfer.
Price (USD)/Buy From(USA): Amazon.com product page for,
- Synology Disk Station 8-Bay Network Attached Storage (DS1815+).
- Synology Disk Station 12-Bay Network Attached Storage (DS2415+).
- This unit doesn’t come with hard drives. Recommended drives: WD Red 1 – 8 TB NAS hard drive or Seagate IronWolf 1 – 8 TB NAS hard drive.
- Recommended RAM modules for RAM Upgrade: Kingston Technology 4 GB DDR3L RAM or Synology 4 GB DDR3 RAM.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).