Cisco Small Business has a range of Unmanaged Switches (SG-100 series) with different models for 8/16/24 Port switches, all supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps (Gigabit copper RJ-45 ports). In an earlier post, you might have come across the Cisco Small Business Unmanaged Switches supporting 10/100 Mbps. They maybe slightly cheaper than the SG-100 series switches but don’t support the 1000 Mbps connectivity in individual ports. You can get an idea about the features supported by the SG_100 series switches from the above infographic.
But do you really need 1000 Mbps to the desktop/edge?
Well, that depends. In certain situations where you might be streaming media, connecting to high-speed Internet, running workstations, working on high-end graphical applications, playing network-based games, connecting NAS appliance (storage-backup) or connecting servers, these 1GE ports might come very handy. Individual Gigabit ports are also very important for inter-switch connectivity. It’s important that your backbone network (connections between switches) are Gigabit enabled. Also, these switches have a higher switching/throughput capacity and hence the chances of network congestion is less.
Advantages of Cisco Small Business SG-100 Series switches:
- Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbps) switching capacity in each port offers excellent performance for demanding applications like streaming media, etc.
- Dedicated switches give a better performance than in-built switch-ports in a router.
- Silent operation (as most of these switch models are fan-less). These switches generate very less heat.
- Plug & Play – No software installation, configuration required. Just switch it on, plug the Ethernet ports and you have a network! These switches also support automatic cable detection.
- Status LED’s for each port.
- Power saving/green features: The switch automatically turns off unused ports, enters sleep mode if none of its ports are used, reduces/increases power as needed.
- Compact size saves a lot of space in the network rack/wall-mount rack.
- Supports basic QoS features for better voice/video and other real-time applications.
- Low cost – For a Cisco-branded switch, these switches are priced very economically.
- Lifetime hardware warranty.
- Cisco is the most popular brand for network components. Cisco is reliable and trusted even (and especially) by enterprise companies and businesses. So, you can just plug the switch on, connect the cables and forget about it.
In case you want to be future proof and want to invest in the best of class switches, these switches are a good choice. When it comes from the Cisco stable, you can expect the products to be reliable, durable and provide good performance. But remember that these switches are unmanaged switches and you cannot do advanced settings like creating VLAN’s, link aggregation, etc. It should be fine for small/basic networks and for people who don’t want to introduce manageability in their networks.
The different models available for the Cisco Small Business SG/SD Unmanaged Gigabit Switches are given below.
1. Cisco Small Business SG 100D-05 : 5 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet Ports, 10 Gbps Switching capacity, Desktop model. Price/buy from (US): Refer to Amazon page for SG 100D-05.
2. Cisco Small Business SD 2008T (SG 100D – 08) : 8 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet Ports, 16 Gbps Switching Capacity, Desktop model. Price/Buy from (US): Refer to Amazon page for SG 100D-08.
3. Cisco Small Business SR2016T (SG 100-16) : 16 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet Ports, 32 Gbps Switching Capacity, Rack mountable. Price/Buy from (US): Refer to Amazon page for SG 100-16.
4. Cisco Small Business SR2024T (SG 100-24) – 24 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet Ports, 48 Gbps Switching Capacity, Rack mountable. Price/Buy from (US): Refer to Amazon page for SG 100-24.
5. Cisco Small Business SR2024CT (SG 102-24) – 24 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet Ports, 48 Gbps Switching Capacity. Mini Gbic Port for Optical Fiber Connectivity / 1 Gbps SFP Port, Rack mountable. Price/Buy from (US): Refer to Amazon page for SG 102-24.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).