The Polycom SoundStation2 Expandable Conference phone is an excellent choice for holding an audio conference between two locations using just a normal analog (PSTN) phone line/analog port of a PBX. It is very much like a normal analog phone, but it doesn’t have a headset. It is made for audio conference and that is pretty much what it does.
There are so many situations when small teams from either side may want to discuss with each other. This product can be used in small to medium sized conference/discussion rooms and it has a microphone pick-up sensitivity of 10 feet. So, even if one speaks normally from a distance of 10 feet, the other side should be able to easily listen to what they are saying. In case of bigger conference rooms, one can connect the optional Polycom SoundStation2 extension microphone kit (2 additional microphones) to increase the area of coverage.
This product, like all other SoundStation models, comes with three Cardiod microphones that gives it a 360 degree coverage. The phone can automatically activate the mic that is closest to the speaker. Polycom’s acoustic clarity technology claims to eliminate noise, ear strain & repetition and it does a decent job at that. Besides, the voice conversation is quite natural as the phone supports full duplex technology.
The Polycom SoundStation2 Expandable Conference phone has everything that a normal phone needs to have. It has a 12-key telephone keypad with normal phone functions like mute, volume up/down, redial, hold and even three context sensitive soft keys. It is very similar to a speaker phone, but is made for enterprise grade audio conferencing. One can even connect a cell phone (2.5mm RCA jack included, but for other interfaces on the cell phone a converter/adapter might be required) and use the SoundStation2 as a hands-free conference attachment to the cell phone.
Main Features of Polycom SoundStation2 Expandable Conference Phone:
- Main unit: Tabletop console + Wall module
- Microphones – Three in-built Cardiod microphones, 360 degree microphone coverage
- Expandability – Expansion ports for connecting two more extension microphones
- Microphone pick-up range – 10 feet (in-built microphones)
- Volume/Caller ID – Adjustable/Yes
- Display – Graphical back-lit LCD display
- Keypad – 12 key telephone keypad with main telephonic functions
- Phone book – Up to 25 entries
- Applications port/RCA Auxiliary audio jack(2.5mm) – Yes
- Dimensions – 13.1″ x 15.7″ x 6″
- Weight – 1.8 pounds
- The expandable (optional) microphones can extend the coverage of the conference phone in future, if required
- Enterprise grade audio conference voice clarity
- LCD display, Caller ID, Adjustable volume along with familiar telephone keys/functions
- Can connect to PC (for using it along with Skype/Instant Messengers, may require an optional computer calling kit which is included with some models – please check if your SoundStation2 package included this cable) and Mobile phones (using RCA 2.5mm jack)
- User selectable ring-tones
- Some users may find that the price is slightly higher (especially when compared to speaker phones), but considering the quality and microphone pick-up range it is a good choice for audio conferencing for small teams
- Not all locations have analog PSTN telephone lines and this phone doesn’t have a direct IP connectivity (RJ-45 interface)
- 25 entries in the phone-book is insufficient in most cases
Altogether, the Polycom SoundStation2 Expandable Conference Phone is a good choice for enterprise grade audio conference if you have the need and can afford the price. You can buy the Polycom SoundStation2 Expandable Conference Phone in the United States Online from Amazon. Have a look at the pricing of this conference phone in Amazon from here.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).