The Hp Procurve 1810G-24 gigabit network switch has twenty-two 10/100/1000 Mbps (gigabit) ports and two dual personality ports that can either be used to connect 10/100/1000 Mbps (gigabit) copper connections or be used to connect fiber connections using additional mini-GBIC transceivers. This switch is ideal for home use, for people who want high speed connections and for small/medium business use.
This switch has a 19″ rack mountable design and can conveniently be kept inside network racks. So, structured cabling is an option with this switch and businesses would find it very useful. The life-time warranty support from Hp is a big plus for any user, as they are insured against potential switch failures. Another advantage of this switch is its fan-less design that enables quiet operation. Anyone using this switch at home might find this feature very useful as they can’t afford the noise generated by normal switches, especially when they are kept at the living room.
The list of management features supported by this switch is very impressive. The Hp Procurve 1810G-24 gigabit switch can be managed by using a simple-to-use web based UI (user interface) and hence a user need not always be present near the switch to monitor it/change its configurations. When a considerable number of computers/servers are connected (especially in business environments) in the LAN, users will find the ability to segment the network into smaller networks using VLAN’s to be a very useful feature.
Support for link-aggregation enables one to connect multiple ports to a bandwidth hungry device like a computer server, accessed by a lot of users. These multiple ports work like a single (high-capacity) port. Some basic QoS/CoS settings like setting 802.1p priority tags can be done to give higher priority to real time traffic/important data over normal traffic. Port mirroring can duplicate all traffic moving via certain ports for network monitoring/recording VOIP calls.
The Hp Procurve 1810G-24 gigabit switch offers basic protection against CPU DoS (Denial of Service) attacks. Support for jumbo frames enables faster data transfer of large files within the network.
Important features of Hp Procurve 1810G-24 Gigabit Switch:
- 22 x 10/100/1000 Mbps ports + 2 Dual personality ports (1GE or Fiber: mini-GBIC)
- 19″ Rack mountable
- 8 MB flash, 16 MB SDRAM, 512 KB packet buffer
- VLAN, Link Aggregation, QoS, Port Mirroring
- CPU DoS protection
- Jumbo frame support
- Dimensions: 21.5″ x 13.5″ x 6.8″
- Weight: 4.4 pounds
- Warranty: Hp life-time warranty
- All gigabit ports enables one to create a gigabit network
- There is an option to connect fiber in future to expand the network
- Easy to use web-based UI (user interface) that can be used to manage the switch from anywhere
- Quiet operation (fan-less design)
- Manageable switch features like VLAN, Link Aggregation, QoS, Port mirroring, etc
- 19″ Rack mountable design
- Plastic chassis
- Can’t monitor the status of individual ports using the Web-based UI
- No option to mark ports (port labels) in the web-interface
The Hp Procurve 1810G-24 is an enterprise grade switch that can be used in both homes and small/medium businesses which require high speed gigabit networks and basic manageable switch features. If you want to buy the Hp 1810G-24 gigabit switch in the United States, do check out the latest price for this switch from Amazon.
You can follow the latest Computer Networking/IT Products released for homes/small businesses & reviews by subscribing to this blog with your email address in the top right-hand sidebar box: ‘Follow by E-mail’. You can expect one mail per week (max).